Is Diarrhea more Dangerous in Diabetes
What is diarrhea?
Diarrhea means that you have loose, watery stools more than three times in one day. You may have cramps, bloating, nausea and an urgent need to have a bowel movement. Causes of diarrhea include bacteria, viruses or parasites, certain medicines, food intolerances and diseases that affect the stomach, small intestine or colon.
Why do diabetes patients get diarrhea?
Diabetes is a disease which is silent and slowly progress. Sometimes, patients don’t know they have had diabetes till the doctor find complications. Sometimes, they see a doctor due to gastrointestinal tract symptoms but they are found diabetes especially in type 2 diabetes. Longstanding high blood sugar can damage tinny blood vessels in the gastrointestinal tract, which can lead to digestion and absorption decline, more bacterium in the gastrointestinal tract. As a result, diarrhea occurs. It is said that 40-76% patients suffer from gastrointestinal tract problems while only 20-40% patients can suffer from severe gastrointestinal tract. If not treated immediately, diabetes people may be influenced by this problem.
What should they do?
1. Monitor blood sugar. When diarrhea occurs, blood sugar regulation becomes imbalanced so that people need to closely monitor blood sugar fluctuation. People need to monitor the blood sugar every 3 hours.
2. Continue reducing blood sugar. People can not discontinue the medicines and insulin. If necessary, people should adjust the dose of medicine and insulin. For patients with type 1 diabetes, they usually need to increase the dose of insulin. For people with type 2 diabetes, they need to adjust the dose of medicine.
3. Persist on eating. People often loss the appetite but they still need to eat food in case of low blood sugar.
4. Drink enough water. People with diarrhea have increased risk of dehydration so that they need to drink more water. Drinking more water can lead to increased urination which is helpful to filter more sugar in the blood.
5. See a doctor. If the symptoms are severe, you should immediately go to see a doctor. If diarrhea lasts for 6 hours and fever is accompanied, you had better to see a doctor.
Diarrhea is a symptom in diabetes which can lead to the blood sugar fluctuation. If you suffer from the diarrhea, you had better see a doctor in case of high blood sugar rise.
Do you have any question? You can leave a message.A detailed analysis of your condition by our experts can greatly guide your treatment and daily care.